Thursday, March 02, 2017

2017 When you travel in Japan, a wifi router is available for rent


Rented Japanese wifi router 


Traveling to Japan and wondering how to keep using your smartphone and laptop over there? So far, I have talked about how to purchase a prepaid travel sim card for Japan here, and in this post I will talk about how to rent a Japanese wifi router.

Renting a wifi router is an easy and excellent way in Japan to stay connected to the internet.   In Japan, it is called "wifi rental" and renting a wifi router is similar to renting a car.


It often happens that your smartphone is on a device payment plan, and the handset is locked to your home carrier. As a wifi router connects your phone (and other devices)  with the internet through wifi, it doesn't matter if your phone is locked to a certain carrier or not.


I use the same iPhone SE both in USA and Japan.


Process of renting a wifi router in Japan

When I travel to Japan, I always rent a wifi router for my laptop. I also get a Japanese travel sim to replace my Verizon sim card in my sim-free iPhone SE, as I don't want to have to take the router everywhere.

This way I can access the internet regardless of where I am. I can use a map app while I am on the road, and I don't have to worry about how much data I use with my laptop where I stay.

This is the typical process of how to stay connected to the internet while traveling abroad in Japan.

  1. I look up for a Japanese online wifi rental service before I leave my home in the USA. This is cheaper in comparison to "airport priced" wifi rental. 
  2. I browse the models available for rent and reserve one a few weeks prior to my arrival. 
  3. There is a wide selection of rental time, speed, carrier, etc.
  4. There are optional services such as insurance, car charger, large battery pack, etc. (A wall charger will always come with the router.)
  5. The total payment is calculated and charged to my credit card at the end of the rental. 
  6. I designate a post office, usually one which is located in the terminal that I fly into, for me to pick up the wifi router.  (ID is required to pick up the router.)
  7. The fee includes both the wifi rental and the data plan chosen.
  8. I can start using it right away as the router is fully charged when it's shipped.
  9. Shipping costs are about $5 one way, and the package arrives with a self-addressed thick paper return envelope with postage already paid for.
  10. When I am finished using it, I put the wifi, the charger and the user's manual  into the envelope, and drop the package into a mail box at either Narita or Haneda airport.
  11. I receive a confirmation email from the service when they receive it. 

There are some differences between plans and services, but the main procedures are pretty much the same.



No comments:

Post a Comment